Saturday, February 18, 2012

Making Your Favorite Takeout Food at Home: Mango Salad



Making Your Favorite Takeout Food at Home: Mango Salad

There are plenty of recipes out there already, but I thought it might be nice to contribute a few for those dishes that we normally either go out for, or order in. 

When I really started to make an effort to economize it was cutting out the take-out Thai and Chinese food that really hurt the most.  So I decided to learn how to make some of my favorite take-out food, and it really wasn’t that hard.

So, I just finished making a batch of mango salad. Whenever I ordered in Thai food it would always include mango salad.  If the response is good, I might be persuaded to provide you with my recipe for coconut tom yum.

Mango salad:

take two red mangoes, peel and cut them into spears
add one small thinly sliced red onion 
add a cup of cilantro leaves
and half a cup of chopped peanuts (or a cup if you like)

Mix together in a good sized bowl, I usually use a corningware container with a lid.

The dressing for the salad is made from:
2 tablespoons of lime juice
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
a dash of fish sauce (or soy sauce or worcestershire sauce, depending on what you've got hanging around).

Pour on the dressing and give it a stir. 

This will make 4-6 servings and it will keep for a day or 2 in the fridge


No comments:

Post a Comment